Native Chaparral and Coastal Sage Scrub
- Draft lesson packet for Plant Adaptations and Local Weather: Lessons in Schoolyards and on Field Trips Gr3 PlantAdaptations
- San Diego’s Native Habitats: Shrublands, Grade 4, SD Shrublands
- Local species cards for web chain activity, Species Cards
- 1-page descriptions of local habitats, MSCP Local Habitats
- Chaparral Shrublands of Southern California–A Pocket Naturalist Guide. Order for resale from Sunbelt Publications (www.sunbeltbook.com), or buy at Mission Trails Regional Park for $6.95. To purchase copies for educational use (not for resale) at $5.00 + tax, contact
- Plant Adaptations, from Cabrillo National Monument, 6p, Cabrillo Plants
- Lessons K-8 from SD Natural History Museum, in both English and Spanish, ListOfLessons SDNHMuseum, includes these short lessons for classrooms and schoolyards: Plant Comparisons Gr3 Desert Plants Gr3 Pollination_Gr6
Exploring our Urban Forests (trees!), grades K-5
Nature-based lessons were developed to be taught in urban schoolyards, with minimal teacher preparation and materials. There are three lessons for each grade.
- GradeK_Senses Soil LeafSorting
- Grade1 Trees BirdSafari Ants
- Grade2 Differences SeedTravel SeedDevelopment
- Grade3 MyTree LeavesWater LeafAnatomy
- Grade4 TreeIdentif_TreeAnatomy TreeProducts
- Grade5 FoodWebSchoolyard Oaks
- These lessons include Next Generation Science Standards, Common Core standards, and current California Science standards. They were funded by a grant from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CalFire), and implemented by the San Diego Children and Nature, San Diego Audubon Society, and San Diego State University.
- Final report at SDCaN UrbanForests FinalReport.
- Three 5-minute videos from Escondido, Santee and SD Unified schools ViewVideos.
- Urban forestry-focused lessons about the Goldspotted Oak Borer GSOB_4Lessons and Guidance on Planting Acorns AcornPlanting
More pages for classroom teachers.