Resources for Nature Play
Publications and Websites
- Risk and Reward of Nature Play. GreenHearts, Inc., 4 p.
- Design Principles for Nature Play Spaces. GreenHearts, Inc., 10 p.
- Reinforcing the Thin Green Line: Are New Approaches to Nature Play Forging Powerful Bonds with Nature? GreenHearts, Inc., 5 p.
- Pathways for Play: Best Practice Guidelines. The Natural Learning Initiative, North Carolina State University. 2009. Raleigh, NC: Playcore, Inc. Order for free.
- Nature Exploration Areas
- The Natural Learning Initiative
- Let the Children Play
- Little Eco Footprints
- The Children and Nature Network
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Maryland Partnership for Children in Nature, “Loose Parts – Natural Play Spaces Elements – Children In Nature”
- Link to publications and websites for designing nature spaces for unstructured outdoor play
Early Childhood Play
- 25 Easy Nature Play Ideas for Early Childhood Centers. GreenHearts, Inc., 2 p.
- Growing up Wild: Exploring Nature with Young Children. Council on Environmental Education. 2012, Houston, TX, 128 p. To order visit: www.projectwild.org/GrowingUpWILD/sendmail/order.htm
- I Love Dirt!, Jennifer Ward, 2008, Boston: Trumpeter, 153 p., 52 activities for children under 5
- Nature and Early Childhood, Mark Whitney, Ph.D., MiraCosta College, Report of Sabbatical Research Project, 2012
- References on nature in early childhood education, by Professors Robin Moore and Nilda Cosco, posted at http://www.naturalearning.org/content/nli-publications
- The Preschool Outdoor Environment Measurement Scale (POEMS), http://www.poemsnc.org/. An assessment tool and self-study to measure the quality of outdoor play and learning environments for children 3-5 years old. To order visit: www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/productDetailForm.asp?CatID=17|EA1015|0&CollID=24102
Not-in-school and After-school Programs
- Let’s Go Outside!, Jennifer Ward, 2009, Boston: Trumpeter, 176 p., 52 outdoor and nature play activities for tweens and teens
- More to come!